Fire Hazards to Watch in Your Home | SERVPRO® of South Bronx
In this blog, we’ll be diving into two of the most common household fire hazards. Because no one wants to experience the unfortunate possibility of seeing their home damaged by fire, it’s important to learn and understand how you can protect your home from this harsh reality by understanding fire hazards and knowing how to identify them.
Don’t Fall Asleep When Burning Candles
According to the National Fire Protection Association, during a five-year period from 2011 to 2015, fire departments in the United States responded to an estimated 8,700 home structure fires a year that were started by candles. In total, there were 82 deaths, 800 injuries and $295 million in direct property damage.
When burning a candle, be sure to keep it at least 12 inches from anything that could ignite and put it in a sturdy holder that won’t easily tip over. If oxygen is used in the home, never use a candle—and always be sure all candles are extinguished before leaving a room or going to bed.
Most Home Fire Fatalities Stem From Smoking
Douse all cigarette butts and ashes in water or sand prior to throwing them out, and keep in mind that one out of four fatal victims from smoking-related fires is not the smoker whose cigarette started the fire.
If you’re a smoker, it is safest to smoke outside, as most deaths result from fires that start in living rooms, family rooms or bedrooms. Fire-safe cigarettes are a great option, and a deep, sturdy ashtray should be used.
While cooking is the leading cause of home fires, smoking is the leading cause of home fire deaths. An estimated 17,200 home structure fires due to smoking materials were reported in 2014, which includes cigarettes, pipes and cigars. Those fires resulted in 570 deaths, 1,140 injuries and $426 million in property damage, per the Coalition for Fire-Safe Cigarettes.
Lesser-known Fire Hazards
While candles and smoking are two of the most common causes of home structure fires, there are also other lesser-known hazards that could be present in your home.
Did you know that some kinds of glassware in your home could be a fire risk? When sunlight passes through them, the concentrated ray could ignite flammable materials, which is why it’s best to move glass accessories away from windows.
Dust bunnies can also pose a fire risk when collecting near electrical sockets and floor heaters. Sweeping or vacuuming your floors regularly and cleaning hard-to-reach areas like behind the entertainment system can help prevent buildup.
Also, look out for loose outlets in your home. The movement of these electrical outlets could loosen the wires connected to the outlet and create dangerous arcing.
Fire and smoke damage can be devastating to homes, and in many circumstances, can be accompanied by water damage from firefighting efforts. If your home is damaged by fire or smoke, SERVPRO® of South Bronx is here to help restore your home to pre-fire condition.