SERVPRO of South Bronx After Water Damage, Prevent Mold Growth Tips
Water damage is a devastating problem for home and business owners, not only due to the damage it can cause, but also because of the unique health hazards and risks it can present.
One of those dangerous risks is mold growth. There are many negative symptoms associated with mold exposure listed by the CDC, and the problem is exacerbated because of how quickly mold can begin growing.
If you’re concerned about mold growth after experiencing water damage, here are the steps you can take to help stop mold before it starts:
Before You Get Started
- Never re-enter your building before officials have deemed it safe and are sure all water has receded.
- Take photos and videos of damage throughout—including damage done to furniture and walls—for insurance claim purposes.
Drying Should Begin Right Away
- Weather permitting, open windows and doors to maximize airflow for as long as possible.
- Before the professional cleanup crew arrives, begin vacuuming with a heavy-duty, outdoor vacuum.
- Make use of fans, dehumidifiers and heaters to speed up drying time.
Items Exposed to Water Should Be Sorted
- Non-porous materials—such as metal, plastic and glass—can often be cleaned, disinfected and reused.
- Porous materials, such as wood, upholstery and paper of any kind, can trap mold and should be discarded.
- It is important to note that drying carpet will not necessarily remove mold spores if they’ve already begun to grow.
A Professional Should Always Be Consulted
Mold is commonly associated with discolorations and foul odors, but can often lurk unnoticed long before it is seen. In some cases, carpets can be salvaged after water damage, but experts typically recommend, at minimum, replacing the carpet pad.
While replacing the carpet pad alone is less costly than a full re-carpeting of the home, only a professional can determine if this is adequate enough to prevent mold from spreading.
If you’re worried about cleanup associated with water damage and preventing mold growth, SERVPRO® of South Bronx can help you restore your home back to normal.